One week prior to the local elections of 2017, The Lasso hosted all six candidates for Falls Church City School Board in a forum in the GMHS auditorium. Over one hundred students came during third block, making up the highest turn out for the Falls Church school board candidates throughout their race.
Candidates were asked questions prepared by the Editorial Board centering around their goals and missions if elected, and topics related to Mason’s future such as the school bond referendum and the IB Program. The candidates were also asked questions from the audience that were written down on notecards and collected by Lasso reporters, though not all of them were answered.
Here are seven additional questions students wanted to know that the Editorial Board felt are worth asking:
- Would you replace/update athletic fields with new school? (would we get a swimming pool?)
- If Falls Church did develop commercial real estate next to the school, what types of businesses would you like to see?
- GMHS students currently share buses with the middle school. Would you continue with this or go back to the system of buses just for GM students?
- How would you deal with drug use among students?
- FCCPS recently implemented the MYP program and we are now a K-12 IB school. Was this the right decision? Why/why not?
- Isn’t our student body already thriving? Aren’t we still ranked highly as a high school? Why do we need a new school building then?
- How do you feel about transgender bathrooms in public schools?
Not every question submitted by students in the audience was on-topic. Here are four that we REALLY want answers to:
- What is the difference between living and being alive?
- What is the most likely cause of World War 3?
- If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, which would it be?
- What is your most dank meme?